This episode’s reading features two dialogues from the book Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi. Covering the period 1935 to 1939, the book is an excellent resource for the teachings of Ramana Maharshi and was a constant companion while I lived in a cabin on Richard Rose’s farm. Ramana Maharshi’s teaching are best not read cover to cover. Instead, read them in small doses and let their spirit move you.
This is podcast # 9 in The Induction Series. The aim of this series is to focus on “inspired” writings, those that carry the “living word.” Franklin Merrell-Wolff called them “mystic writings” and said that “when the ‘Voice of the Silence’ speaks into the relative world, the Meaning lies between the words, as it were, rather than in the direct content of the words themselves.”
Richard Rose said that “If you are interested in looking for Essence, from the point of the Process Observer you can be stimulated only by writings of inspiration rather than reason or direction” and referred students to his poem “Three Books of the Absolute.” While Rose used the term “inspirational,” clearly these are not necessarily inspirational, uplifting writings like one typically finds collected under that banner.
If you enjoy The Induction Series, please leave a review on Amazon of my book Subtraction: The Simple Math of Enlightenment. There are currently 67 reviews and once we reach 100 reviews that boosts the visibility of the book. You don’t have to purchase the book on Amazon to leave a review, and a few minutes of your time will help others seekers find the book. Just click the link above and leave a few words in a review. Thank you!
Please feel free to leave comments or send an email with the contact form. I always appreciate hearing your thoughts.
- Listen to the interview on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Amazon Music, or Google Play.
- Stream by clicking here, or download after you follow the link by using right-click and then “save as.”
- Or watch on YouTube.
- As a thank you for visiting, enjoy free shipping and get a signed copy of my book Subtraction: The Simple Math of Enlightenment for only $13.50.
- If you enjoy the podcast, consider supporting it by purchasing a book, t-shirt, or film at the store.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Selected Links and Topics from this Episode:
- “Reality is simply the loss of the ego. Destroy the ego by seeking its identity. Because the ego is no entity it will automatically vanish and Reality will shine forth by itself. This is the direct method.”
- “You see, the one who eliminates all the not I cannot eliminate the ‘I.’ To say ‘I am not this’ or ‘I am that’ there must be the ‘I.’ This ‘I’ is only the ego or the ‘I’-thought. After the rising up of the ‘I’-thought, all other thoughts arise. The ‘I’-thought is therefore the root-thought. If the root is pulled out all others are at the same time uprooted. Therefore seek the root ‘I,’ question yourself ‘Who am I?’ find out its source. Then all these will vanish and the pure Self will remain ever.”
- The official website for Sri Ramana Maharshi.
- Leave a review on Amazon of my book Subtraction: The Simple Math of Enlightenment. Our goal is to reach 100 reviews by the end of The Induction Series. We’re now at 67!